What to Look for in Home Insurance

Finding the best deal and price for your home insurance may be high up on your list of ‘wants’ when it comes to finding the right home insurance for you, but this should not be the only factor to consider. There are many aspects to think about, some of which you may have never even thought of before now. Plus, with so many insurance providers out there, how can you determine which insurance cover is the best one for you and your needs?

Whether you are about to buy your first property and this is the first time you have had to purchase home insurance, or you are looking for a new provider that can offer you more for your money and a better price, here’s what you should look for and keep in mind.

There Are Different Types of Cover

Homes are divided into two parts when it comes to home insurance: buildings insurance and contents insurance. As a homeowner, it is in your best interests to take out both types of cover. However, if you rent your accommodation, then double check whether the buildings insurance is covered by the landlord. But what does buildings and contents insurance cover, exactly?

Buildings Insurance

Buildings insurance usually covers any permanent fixtures and appliances within the property. It will also cover any fabrics of the building. Be sure to check exactly what it is your buildings insurance will cover in the event of an emergency and/or accident.

What does buildings insurance cover?

Each quote and coverage is unique, but buildings insurance will typically cover the following:

  • Floods
  • Storms
  • Fire
  • Vandalism
  • Malicious damage
  • Damage from vehicles (e.g., a car crashing into your property)
  • Failing trees and/or branches

Contents Insurance

Contents insuranceis designed to cover the contents of your property. Or, in other words, it protects your belongings. This typically means that your electrical items, clothes, and furniture will be covered in the event of an emergency and/or accident. Again, you will need to read the fine print of your insurance provider to ensure you know exactly what is covered.

What does content insurance cover?

Content insurance will usually cover your belongings against the following instances:

  • Fire damage
  • Water damage
  • Theft
  • Vandalism
  • Earthquake damage

Head to a Comparison Website for the Best Deals

The best and easiest way to find home insurance that suits your needs, and that offers you the full coverage you are after, is to head to a comparison website, such as Such websites offer complete transparency so that you can compare all home insurance quotes before deciding on which one fits your situation best. Compare your options at so that you can have peace of mind and know that you have the right buildings and contents insurance for your property and situation. As a homeowner, it is in your best interests to have a home insurance policy cover that protects your assets.

Is Your Home Covered for its Rebuild Value?

The rebuild value of a home can sound confusing, but it simply means that you need to ensure that your buildings insurance covers the rebuild value of your home, not the market value. By doing this, you protect yourself and have financial protection if something awful was to happen to your home, such as a tree falling onto your property or your home being vandalised or set on fire.

Calculating your rebuild cost can be difficult. You will want to ensure that you are not underestimating as this can leave you underinsured. However, overestimating will make the cost of your coverage much more expensive and you will be paying unwarranted additional costs.

The easiest way to calculate the value of your contents is to go from room-to-room and make note of what each individual item costs. While this may be time-consuming, it will help you be as accurate as possible, so it’s a step you shouldn’t miss out.

Do You Have Cover When Away from Home?

Home insurance does not always stop with what is inside the home. Some providers will offer additional coverage for those who may need to bring and use expensive items outside the house, such as laptops and a bicycle. This type of cover is typically known as personal possessions insurance and you will usually need to add it to your home insurance policy. Personal possessions insurance is ideal for those who leave the house with valuables, whether it be for work or because they are a student heading to the library to study.

The right home insurance is a necessity. You need to ensure that you have the right coverage for your property so that in the event of an emergency, you can make a claim, recoup your costs and minimise your losses. Use the above guide to make sure you get the right policy for your needs.

Back to top button