Entertainment

Triple M Host Breaks Silence with Lawrence Mooney’s Sudden Ax

Incoming Triple M host Mark Geyer broke the silence with a sudden ax from Lawrence Mooney’s radio station.

In an interview with Yahoo! Sports On Thursday, a 53-year-old former rugby league soccer player admitted that he was shocked by Mooney’s sudden departure.

Geyer added that he was looking forward to working with a 56-year-old comedian before his controversial exit.

Remarks: Incoming Triple M host Mark Geyer (pictured) broke silence with a sudden ax from Lawrence Mooney’s radio station.

“It was a shock to me. I was looking forward to working with Roz, and that was an idea originally proposed to me,” he said.

“We would certainly have been able to work together. There is no doubt about that. I was thrilled.

“I honestly don’t know what happened, except for the fact that a lawyer is involved. I’m a deer in the limelight.”

Lost: Yahoo!In an interview with Thursday Sports, a 53-year-old former rugby league soccer player admitted that he was shocked by the sudden departure of Lawrence Mooney (pictured).

Lost: Yahoo!In an interview with Thursday Sports, a 53-year-old former rugby league soccer player admitted that he was shocked by the sudden departure of Lawrence Mooney (pictured).

The new name for the Triple M breakfast program was revealed on Tuesday following Mooney’s shocking ax.

Formerly known as Moonman In The Morning, the program will be named Triple MB breakfast by MG, Jess & Pagey. “MG” refers to the next host Geyer.

Last week it was announced that a retired football star would join the Triple M breakfast program in 2022.

He will lead the show with the remaining hosts, Jess Eva and Chris’s “Pay-easy” page.

Sudden departure: Geyer added that he was looking forward to working with a 56-year-old comedian.

Sudden departure: Geyer added that he was looking forward to working with a 56-year-old comedian.

Triple M Sydney announced on Monday that it broke up with Mooney.

The comedian was hired in early 2019 to host the Moonman in the Morning breakfast show with Eva and Page.

His contract, which is believed to be worth $ 2 million a year, was scheduled to expire in 2022.

“It was a shock to me. I was looking forward to working with Roz, and that was an idea originally proposed to me,” Gaia said.

A Southern All Stars spokesman said in a brief statement on Monday: “SCA would like to thank Mooney for his contributions to the Triple M Network over the last five years.”

Mooney has since called a Triple M lawyer over the ax.

Employment lawyer John Laxon confirmed on Monday afternoon that he was acting for Mooney against radio station parent company Southern Cross Austereo.

“My client has a contract that will last until the end of next year, and SCA has ended it,” Laxon said.

All new lineup: Geyer will lead the show with the rest of the hosts, Jess Eva (left) and Chris'Pagey'Page (right).

All new lineup: Geyer will lead the show with the rest of the hosts, Jess Eva (left) and Chris’Pagey’Page (right).

“The terms of the contract were drafted by SCA, negotiated and agreed by my client. He holds SCA on those terms.

“My clients only ask that the SCA respect the contract and comply with the contractual arrangements they have made.”

His departure comes in rumors that “Major” will drop out with co-host Eva two weeks after he disappears from the air without explanation.

Problem: Mooney seems to have caused a problem at the station in the last few months after colliding with several staff, including Eva (left). Photos at the Australian Commercial Radio Awards in Brisbane in October 2019

Problem: Mooney seems to have caused a problem at the station in the last few months after colliding with several staff, including Eva (left). Photos at the Australian Commercial Radio Awards in Brisbane in October 2019

When asked to comment by the Daily Mail Australia on Monday afternoon, Mooney hung up, saying, “Don’t call me again.”

Entertainment reporter Peter Ford said the “internal” problem led to Mooney’s sudden departure.

“My information (which is in a very good place) tells me that it was a problem in the company’s off-air workplace that led to this disappearance,” he said at the morning show.

A week after a source told the Daily Mail Australia that Mooney was about to lose his Triple M contract.

Lacklustre: Since its launch in January 2019, Moonman In The Morning has struggled to compete with other FM breakfast shows, gaining a 4.6% market share in the latest radio survey.

Lacklustre: Since its launch in January 2019, Moonman In The Morning has struggled to compete with other FM breakfast shows, gaining a 4.6% market share in the latest radio survey.

He seems to have caused problems at the station in the last few months after clashing with several staff, including Eva.

Network executives were also said to be struggling to justify his rumored $ 2 million salary, given the slight evaluation of the program.

Mooney was hired to host the show with a salary of $ 750,000 in January 2019, but was raised from $ 1.5 million to $ 2 million in 2020 and 2021.

He previously stood before the Triple M Brisbane breakfast show from 2016 to 2018.

Mystery: Listeners have been confused by Mooney's disappearance for the past two weeks. Triple M initially made no explanation for his absence.

Mystery: Listeners have been confused by Mooney’s disappearance for the past two weeks. Triple M initially made no explanation for his absence.

Since its launch, Moonman In The Morning has struggled to compete with other FM breakfast shows, gaining a 4.6% market share in the latest radio survey.

The show peaked at 6.9% market share when it debuted in 2019 after taking over The Grill Team, which had been in operation for nine years with a 5.4% share at the end of 2018.

Moonman in the Morning never reached the height of its predecessor, who regularly withdrew more than 7% stake in its heyday.

The grill team was sponsored by former rugby league player Matthions. Matthions left the station in November 2018 to focus on his television career.

In contrast, KIIS 106.5 market leader Kyle & Jackie O’Show soared in the latest rating with a 10.7% share.

Soaring numbers: Network executives are also said to be struggling to justify the rumored $ 2 million salary given the program's poor reputation.

Soaring numbers: Network executives are also said to be struggling to justify the rumored $ 2 million salary given the program’s poor reputation.

Listeners have been confused by Mooney’s disappearance for the past two weeks.

Triple M, along with a spokesman who told the Daily Mail Australia last Wednesday, did not explain his absence.

Last week, several meetings were held between Southern Cross Austero and Mooney’s management after he flew.

Rookie: Last week, it was announced that a retired football star would join the Triple M breakfast program in 2022.

Rookie: Last week, it was announced that a retired football star would join the Triple M breakfast program in 2022.

Geyer will join the breakfast team in 2022. However, his hiring was announced a few weeks ago and has nothing to do with Mooney’s departure.

Mooney was awarded the Australian Commercial Radio Awards (ACRA) as Best Entertainment Presenter in 2019, but this praise did not lead to a reputation.

His sudden exit is far from the only drama that hits the Triple M Sydney breakfast show.

From stints of presenters during rehab to illegal stars Blockade A long list of violations and controversies arguably made Australia’s most toxic radio show Moonman in the morning.

Disappointment: Mooney won the Australian Commercial Radio Awards (ACRA) as Best Entertainment Presenter in 2019, but this praise did not lead to a reputation.

Disappointment: Mooney won the Australian Commercial Radio Awards (ACRA) as Best Entertainment Presenter in 2019, but this praise did not lead to a reputation.

Triple M Host Breaks Silence with Lawrence Mooney’s Sudden Ax

Source link Triple M Host Breaks Silence with Lawrence Mooney’s Sudden Ax

Back to top button