World

Travis Scott: Rapper sets to headline first festival since Astroworld tragedy – with Brazil event a day after Houston crush’s anniversary killing 10 | US News

Travis Scott would presumably be his first festival since the Astroworld crush that killed 10 people – with the Brazilian music event taking place a day after the one-year anniversary of the Houston tragedy.

The American rapper, 30, has been announced as one of the headlines for the upcoming Primavera Sound festival in Sao Paulo, and is set to play on November 6, according to Rolling Stone.

More than 300 people were injured at the sold-out Astroworld Festival which was attended by 50,000 in 2021, when fans jumped on stage during Scott’s performance.

Nine-year-old Ezra Blount was among those killed in the crush on November 5 last year after he was seriously injured.

More than 300 lawsuits have been filed against companies and individuals, including Scott.

Other artists playing at the festival in Brazil include rock band Arctic Monkeys, Charli XCX and Bjork.

In recent months, Scott has begun to reach audiences again, including a performance at a pre-Oscars festival and the announcement of his second child with Keeping Up With The Kardashians star, Kylie Jenner.

Scott, whose real name is Jacques Webster, is expected to appear for his first major public appearance since the tragedy at a nightclub in Miami next Saturday, Rolling Stone reports.

It adds that at the moment it is unclear whether he will just make an appearance or will perform.

During his Astroworld set last year, Scott could be heard asking security to help someone who crashed into the crowd and was criticized for performing his performance when emergency teams attended the scene.

In an interview after the disaster, Scott claims he did not know fans were injured and said he had been on an “emotional rollercoaster”.

Image:
Scott with his girlfriend Kylie Jenner

Read more:
Why are scans so deadly?
Scott talks about Astroworld tragedy

Since the incident, Houston fire chief Samuel Pena has said the rapper should have stopped his show as soon as he realized that something was wrong.

Several families of the 10 people who died from injuries in the crowd at Astroworld refused an offer from Scott to pay for the funeral expenses of their loved ones.

Last year’s crush came after an incident two weeks earlier at the same venue, when fans stormed through a gate at a Playboi Carti show, forcing it to cancel.

Travis Scott: Rapper sets to headline first festival since Astroworld tragedy – with Brazil event a day after Houston crush’s anniversary killing 10 | US News

Source link Travis Scott: Rapper sets to headline first festival since Astroworld tragedy – with Brazil event a day after Houston crush’s anniversary killing 10 | US News

Back to top button