The woman was found decomposing after cataloging lapses in care

37 years old woman Found from East London after the breakup Mental health services Couldn’t check on him for weeks, or investigation found.

Sofia Yurferev was found by police at her home in Hornchurch on November 16, 2021, more than a month after her death.

An inquest into her death found that the mental health trust responsible for her care, the North East London Foundation Trust (NELFT), had not carried out a welfare check during this time.

However, the court said it was impossible to say whether earlier observation or home attendance by health workers could have prevented his death.

According to a summary of the investigation released by her family’s lawyers, Hodge, Jones & Allen, the trust did not check on Yurferev for a month, even though she failed to attend an Oct. 12 antipsychotic treatment.

Her family’s lawyers said: “Sofia was contacted on November 8-15; However, they were unsuccessful. The inquest heard that NELFT raised no concerns between October 12, 2021 and the time of Sophia’s death over the trust’s “Covid-related staff shortage”.

Yurferev moved to the UK from Siberia in 1998 with his mother Maria Stockdale and two brothers. When he was 19, his mental health deteriorated and in 2010 he was admitted to Newham Hospital under the Mental Health Act.

Between 2011 and 2016, he is said to have struggled with mental health, suffering multiple “psychotic episodes”.

Lawyers for her family said: “Sofia and her mother were offered little help during this period. In May 2016, Sofia hit an all-time low. Realizing that she needed help, she repeatedly pleaded for help by getting to the hospital, but her pleas were ignored. “

He was eventually admitted to Gudmeyes Hospital in late 2016, but was released “with no clear follow-up plan”.

At the end of 2019, Yurferev stopped taking medication and his health condition worsened. He was then placed under the care of Havering Community Mental Health Services and prescribed the antipsychotic drug flupentixol decanoate twice a week.

The trust recorded her last presence on October 12, but only reported her missing to the police on November 12.

In a statement, Yurferev’s mother, Maria Stockdale, said: “I have no words to express how devastated I am not only by the loss of my daughter, but also by the manner in which she died. It was supposed to be taken care of by professionals and failed many times. If he had the necessary care and support, I believe he would be alive today.”

Sofia’s lawyer, Nina Ali, a medical negligence partner at Hodge, Jones & Allen, said: “This is yet another tragic case of mental health professionals failing in their duty to protect the most vulnerable members of society. It was clear that Mrs. Yuferev needed professional help, but she was given very little help throughout her treatment. We are saddened by the conclusion that, given the condition of Sofia’s body when it was found, the family received only limited answers. Nevertheless, we still hope that this will be a lesson for all mental health services. ”

A NELFT spokesman said: “We would like to extend our sincere condolences to Sophia’s family and loved ones. We worked with the family to ensure ongoing support and access to family contact.

“As part of our trust’s serious incident process, we have carried out a review of the care delivered and are implementing the learning from this review.”

The woman was found decomposing after cataloging lapses in care

Source link The woman was found decomposing after cataloging lapses in care

Back to top button