World

The second mass grave in Mariupol could contain 1,000 bodies

A new excavated mass grave has been found in a village near Mariupol (Photo: EPA)

Another mass grave has been found in Ukraine, this time just outside the besieged port city of Mariupol.

A new satellite photo showed the site measuring 45 by 25 meters.

The discovery has led to allegations that Russia is trying to conceal the massacre of civilians.

City officials fear up to 1,000 bodies may be buried in the grave, which was found near the village of Vynohradne.

Similar satellite photos were released earlier this week showed new mass graves in the city of Manhush, west of Mariupol.

The city’s mayor, Vadym Boychenko, has accused Vladimir Putin’s troops of concealing ‘their military crimes’ by moving bodies.

He said: ‘The bodies of the dead were brought by the truck and were actually just dumped in mounds.’

A satellite image of Maxar Technologies shows a mass grave at Vynohradne (Photo: AP)
Opponents of pro-Russian troops are seen on top of a tank in Mariupol (Image: REUTERS)
A new excavated mass was also seen near the village of Manhush (Photo: EPA)

Russia claims to have “liberated” Mariupol after weeks of attacks. The city has been largely destroyed by almost daily bombings.

But about 1,000 citizens, as well as 2,000 soldiers, are still hiding at the city of Azovstal steel factory – and swore her husband to stand instead of leave.

They were told to ‘surrender or die’ by Wednesday.

But the deadline came and went – and Putin ordered his troops to stand by to attack the plant.

The leader has now turned his attention to the Donbas region in eastern Ukraine.

But fierce counter-attacks from Ukraine have halted Russia’s progress.

Nine tanks, 18 armored units, 13 military vehicles, three artillery systems and a tanker were all destroyed, the Ukrainian General Staff confirmed online.

She added: ‘Groups of Russian occupiers regroup. Russia’s enemy continues to launch missiles and bomb attacks on military and civilian infrastructure. ‘

The UK Ministry of Defense said despite their increased activity, ‘Russian troops have made no major gains in the last 24 hours as Ukrainian counter-attacks continue to hamper efforts.

People pass by destroyed cars in the southern port city of Mariupol (Photo: Reuters)
Ukrainian civilians and soldiers remain stranded in Azov steelworks (Photo: Reuters)
Maria Miroshnichenko, 84, stands outside a destroyed building in Mariupol (Photo: Reuters)

In Mariupol, a spokesman added: ‘Heavy fighting continues to take place, frustrating Russian attempts to conquer the city, and thus further delaying their desired progress in the Donbas.’

The conquest of Mariupol was an important goal for Russia, and a terrible prospect for Ukraine, due to its vital port and position near Crimea.

Many attempts to evacuate civilians from the city have failed because of what the Ukrainians said was ongoing Russian shootings.

Contact our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, check out our news site.



The second mass grave in Mariupol could contain 1,000 bodies

Source link The second mass grave in Mariupol could contain 1,000 bodies

Back to top button