The charity found that Humanity Torbay, a Dong charity, had misbehavior և and / or mismanagement in connection with a political campaign և failure of trustees to properly control the use of social media by trustees.
The regulator also undertook a voluntary commitment from the founder of the charity to the former executive director not to act for 4 years as a charitable trustee or to hold senior management positions in a charitable organization.
Humanity Torbay provided a center for the local community in Torbay with advice on health, well-being, housing and employment, as well as referrals to local food banks.
The commission opened a regulatory compliance case against the charity in August 2019, after concerns were raised about its use of social media platforms for political propaganda. The regulator also identified concerns about the charitable organization’s financial management, and in June 2020 launched a statutory investigation.
The investigation revealed numerous cases of misconduct and / or mismanagement, including:
- failure of trustees to maintain adequate financial control over the charity
- not to be supervised by the trustees և to prevent the posting of inappropriate materials on the social network pages on behalf of the charitable organization.
- Violation of their legal responsibilities և political propaganda և activities related to their activities
In August 2021, Ellie Waugh, Founder and Former CEO of the Charitable Foundation, agreed to accept the terms of her voluntary commitment, which means that she will not act as a charitable trustee or hold any position or work in any of the charities in England or Wales. , For a period of 4 years.
The trustees of the charity foundation decided to stop the charity in July 2020, և the charity was removed from the register in March 2021.
Amy Spiller, head of the charity commission’s investigation, said:
The Commission’s intervention in this case sends a strong message that charities should not be abused as a means of expressing an individual’s political views.
The independence of charitable organizations from party politics is not only required by law, it is also necessary for the maintenance of public trust and confidence in charitable organizations.
Notes to editors:
- The Charity Commission is an independent, non-ministerial government body that registers and regulates charities in England and Wales. Its purpose is to ensure that charity can flourish և inspire confidence so that people can improve their lives և strengthen society.
- The commission has launched an investigation June 9, 2020. The full report of the survey can be viewed here:.
- The charity fund was removed from the Charity Committee Register of charitable organizations March 15, 2021 և Registered as a removed charity.
- Mrs. Ellie Wau signed a voluntary commitment on August 18, 2021, which marks the beginning of a four-year contract for the non-acting trustee of the charity foundation.
- The commission plans to consult on new social media guidelines for charities later this year.
The charity committee finds wrongdoing and mismanagement on Humanity Torbay
SourceThe charity committee finds wrongdoing and mismanagement on Humanity Torbay