Health

Studies suggest that strenuous exercise increases the risk of motor neuron disease

Frequently intense motion May increase the risk of developing Motor neuron disease (MND) New studies have been discovered in people who are genetically predisposed to the condition.

Researchers from University of Sheffield We welcome this study as an important step in understanding the link between high levels of physical activity and the development of neurodegenerative diseases.

Many prominent British sportsmen, including rugby league Rob Burrow, Rugby union Doddy Weir And soccer players Stephen derbyIn recent years, I have shared my life experience with MND.

Despite the findings, the research team emphasized that most people who are exercising hard on Friday do not develop MND, arguing that sports have significant health benefits.

“I’ve long suspected that exercise is a risk factor for MND, but until now this link was considered controversial,” said Dr. Jonathan Coopernock, one of the authors of the study. I will.

“This study confirms that in some people, frequent strenuous exercise leads to an increased risk of MND.

“It is important to emphasize that we know that most people who exercise hard do not develop MND.”

Dr. Cooper Knock added: “The next step is to identify individuals who are at risk for MND, especially when exercising frequently and intensively. How much exercise increases that risk?”

According to the authors of the study, previous studies have shown that the risk of MND in professional soccer players is estimated to increase by an estimated 6-fold.

MND, or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), affects motor neurons in the brain and spinal cord that connect the nervous system and muscles to allow body movement.

The disease affects about 5,000 people in the United Kingdom, and the lifetime risk of developing this condition is about 1 in 400.

Approximately 10% of MND cases are inherited, while the remaining 90% are caused by complex genetic and environmental interactions that are not well understood.

Dr. Coopernock said there is an urgent need to understand the link between these factors in order to discover new treatments and preventive strategies for the disease.

Sheffield team described the study published in the journal EBioMedicineWill have a significant impact on global efforts to identify which individuals are at risk for MND based on genetics.

They want doctors to be able to advise families of MND patients about the risks associated with exercise habits.

“Although the genetics of MND have been better understood in recent years, little progress has been made in identifying environmental and lifestyle factors that increase the risk of developing the disease,” said the director of research and development for motor neuron disease. One Dr. Brian Dicky said. The association said.

“This is partly because genetic and environmental studies tend to be carried out separately by different research teams, each working only on part of a jigsaw puzzle.”

Dr. Dicky added: “We need more intense research like this to really be able to understand all the factors associated with MND to help us find more targeted treatments.”

Additional reporting by PA

Studies suggest that strenuous exercise increases the risk of motor neuron disease

Source link Studies suggest that strenuous exercise increases the risk of motor neuron disease

Back to top button