The trial of the alleged terrorist in the murder of Sir David Emes has been postponed after three jurors became infected with the coronavirus.
Ali Harbi Ali is on trial in Old Bailey, where he is accused of plotting to assassinate a lawmaker and plotting to assassinate him.
His defense was due to begin on Monday, but Mr. Justice Suini confirmed that the three members of the jury were in favor of COVID.
Addressing the remaining nine jurors in court, the judge said the trial had been postponed for a week and would resume on Monday, April 4.
“Three of your tests were positive, one on the weekend, two this morning, so we had to postpone the trial, not interrupt it.”
Mr. Justice Swin urged the jury not to return to their jobs, saying he wanted to keep the risk of COVID infection to an “absolute minimum.”
“As we have clearly seen today, COVID-19 is widespread at the moment,” he added.
Sir David, a member of the Southeastern West, was stabbed in October of last year during his elective surgery in Lancashire, Essex.
During the trial, it was heard that the 69-year-old politician was killed in a “furious” attack and received more than 20 stab wounds.
Prosecutors described Ali as a “bigoted terrorist” and said he had looked into other potential high-profile political targets, including Michael Gove, Dominique Raab and Sir Kir Starmer.
Ali denies the accusation.
Sir David Ames murder trial postponed after three-judge test positive for COVID | UK news
Source Sir David Ames murder trial postponed after three-judge test positive for COVID | UK news