Shrewsbury Maternity Investigation: Failure Continues for Decades

Wednesday, the watershed moment Maternity safety Will be held as the final report of the investigation into the biggest maternity scandal you have ever seen in the NHS reveals hundreds of female care deficiencies and Infants.

In 2019, Independent Revealed that a Survey During maternity care, the Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust found that more than a dozen women and more than 40 children died in childbirth due to a culture that failed to listen to parents.

The final report on the Ockenden review is expected to address more than 1,600 incidents, most of which are categorized as “significant” or “major concern”. Independent Understands. According to some reports, the review states that hundreds of children have died as a result of poor care.

It is expected that about 60 recommendations will be submitted, in addition to the 27 that have already been published in 2020.

However, more than 100 employees came out Independent Understands that the report will cause concern because staff on the ground are not speaking.

The stories revealed during the review, which span 40 years, indicate a repeated failure at the hospital, which, in the words of the affected families, was “not listened to”.

However, parents and children still experience similar failures – like Nikita House.

‘ᲣJust listen to me’

Caleb Roy Austin, who died in January 2021


Ms. Hose lost her son Kelly in January 2021 at Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital and is represented by law firm Lanyon Bowdler.

Kelley’s death has not been covered up by the Ockenden investigation since his birth occurred after the publication of the interim report in December 2020, but the gaps in his care reveal similar problems to those previously identified.

Ms. House was admitted to the hospital on Jan. 8 after doctors confirmed her water was broken in 27 + 1 weeks. She had previously found out she was 20 weeks pregnant after experiencing a “fluid eruption” that had not been examined.

On January 10, 2021, he expressed concern to doctors after he developed a fever and suffered from blurred vision, but was told that only the bottom of his pajamas had been removed. Talking IndependentMs Hose said: “I felt that they did not really listen to me … I mentioned that I did not feel [Caleb] Move a few times. ”

After being told she needed a caesarean section, Ms. House waited for hours for surgery, and by the time Kelly was born, she was very ill. Tragically, he died a day later.

Trust conducted its own investigation into Kelly’s death, which determined that he would have survived as he should have been born eight hours earlier.

Ms House said she was confident she now wanted to “just listen. When something is not right, just listen to your parents. Just listen to your parents and do not blame your parents. Mom knows their body and mom knows when something is not right.

“Kaleb was born a month after Donna Ockenden’s interim report [which] That said, everything needs to change urgently, and five or six things that were in Donna Ockenden’s interim report were about a serious Kelly incident.

“I still cry about it, almost every day. This is something you can never overcome – never. No matter how much you consult, medication, [nothing] I will tell you what happened because there are no words for it. There are simply no words. ”

Laura Weir, Lanyon Bowdler’s associate attorney representing families, said: “Unfortunately, we continue to see the same failures in trust and change is still needed to give our community access to safe childbirth.

“We will continue to seek justice for the affected families and I hope that Donna Ockenden’s final report will give them the confidence they need to make the necessary changes.

“I have to fight”

In the years following Kirst’s birth, Ms. Edwards had to fight for answers

(Jill Edwards)

It took Jill Edwards 20 years to learn about the mistakes she made during childbirth that left her daughter, Kirsty Dallows, with cerebral palsy.

In 1983, when he was ten days old, Ms. Edwards was hospitalized and a series of mistakes occurred that left her and her daughter forever with the consequences.

After I was initially curious, Ms. Edwards’s doctors said she would need a caesarean section. “As far as I knew, that was it,” Ms Edwards said. It was only years after the court hearing that it became clear that the doctors had in fact made a further attempt at vaginal delivery forceps before she was under general anesthesia.

Two attempts to use pinceps, an attempt to expel an infant from the pelvis, left Ms. Edwards’s daughter in fetal shock and with cerebral hemorrhage.

Ms. Edwards recalls seeing her daughter a few days later: “She was lying on her side, with her head back as far as she could, with her arms outstretched to a small door and her legs crossed. Basically he looked like he was skiing on water, but his head was far back.

At the time he was told by doctors that there was no need to take his daughter and that there were places for similar babies, but Ms. Edwards refused to let her go. Nine months later, Kirst was diagnosed with cerebral palsy.

In the years that followed, Ms. Edwards had to fight for legal answers.

“I had to fight them very hard because they said they had lost all records of his birth,” he said. “For me, it was never about money, just to find out what happened. I always blamed myself and always believed in it [it was] Something with me.

“When I went to the hospital, it ended his life. Sadly the children are dead, [and it] “You feel very difficult because you feel guilty because your child did not die, but at the same time I was still living with the horrors that happened.”

“He died in my arms”

It took Trust four years to acknowledge responsibility for Olivia’s death

(Julie Rawlings)

“He died in my arms; “I do not remember,” said Julie Rowling Independent As he described the horrific circumstances of his daughter Olivia’s death.

Olivia was born on May 14, 2002, in Shrewsbury Hospital.

After a 23-hour delivery, the consultant in charge decided to use force on Ms. Rowling.

“He entered twice with tweezers. My husband held me by the arms and held me as they laid the table. He could see that one of his legs was off the floor and was at the bottom of the table [as he was] Attraction, ”he said.

Little did Ms. Rowling know her daughter would be left with horrific injuries from tweezers.

When Olivia was born, “there was no voice,” recalled her mother. After her daughter was taken to the intensive care unit, Ms. Rowling found her in a state of shock.

“His ‘ear was completely cut off as if it were almost cut off and he had large blue bruises on his head and face,'” he said.

Even after being told that her baby had died, like many other women, Ms. Rowling had to endure being placed in a ward full of other women with her babies. “I was excited and we were told to keep the noise,” he said.

It took four years to acknowledge Trust’s responsibility, and eventually Olivia’s death was investigated by police.

During the trial, it was determined that Olivia had “a full-sized hematoma of her scalp, which was 2.5 cm thick, visible on her face and her brain stem was almost torn. All the major organs had bleeding and the acid level in his blood was from the roof, which meant he was in great pain.

“I do not want any family to ever have a heartbreaking life, because it never becomes easy. You learn to live with him a little easier, but he never disappears. ”

“Brushed under the carpet”

Heidi Mortimer at her son Harrison’s grave


Heidi Mortimer, from Telford, lost her son Harrison in April 2004 after he was deprived of oxygen due to preeclampsia.

In the weeks leading up to her son’s death, Mortimer began to “swell like a balloon” and was initially told by staff at Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital that everything was “fine” and “nothing to worry about”.

However, after her swelling worsened, she again attended the hospital and was admitted at 23 weeks pregnant.

He described being told during the first two weeks of his stay in the hospital: “The baby is fine. The baby in you is very happy. We want to keep the baby in you for as long as we can. ”

Eventually doctors told her she had preeclampsia, and a few days after she returned from a day trip from the hospital with her family, midwives said they could not find her son’s heartbeat.

Doctors told her her son had died and she was sent to the hospital’s maternity ward room.

“I could hear all the women screaming, you could hear the children crying. “I was sitting on a bump, I knew he was never going to cry,” Mortimer said. “You could hear the women, you could hear the babies crying, the bed was out, the incubators were ready and waiting for the children. And I just thought, ‘This is just a bad dream,’ “he said.

Complications after the birth of a child meant that Ms. Mortimer still had to undergo compression to remove the placenta. At one point he said: “The doctor came to examine me, literally punched me and tried to remove my placenta. I hung it from the ceiling [in pain]. I was just saying, “Please stop, please stop now.” He said: “No, it must come out. He must come out. ‘

“And I said, ‘Please stop. You hurt. I walked long enough, stopped, – and did not stop, continued. And I could feel every movement. “

Ms Mortimer said only when the midwife asked the consultant to stop.

A few weeks after her son’s death, a post-mortem examination was conducted, which doctors said indicated a lack of oxygen.

Although she had previously been told that the placenta was “welded in the womb” and “disintegrated like paper”, Mortimer felt that her care was “under the rug”, adding that she was “never mentioned”.

Shrewsbury Maternity Investigation: Failure Continues for Decades

Source link Shrewsbury Maternity Investigation: Failure Continues for Decades

Back to top button