Scientists say the new “worst” hypermutation COVID could reduce the effectiveness of the vaccine by at least 40% as the UK and Israel ban travel from South Africa and five other African countries. It warns the variant, but passengers continue to flow into the United States.
- The UK Health Minister announced Thursday that flights from six South African countries will be suspended due to concerns over a new COVID variant.
- Flights from Southern Africa, Namibia, Lesotho, Botswana, Eswatini and Zimbabwe will be suspended from noon on Friday
- Israel followed Thursday, with Prime Minister Naftali Bennett adding more than six Mozambiques to the list of “red” countries, essentially banning Israelis from traveling between seven countries.
- This movement corresponds to variant B.1.1.529, which has a “very rare constellation” of mutation.
- Scientists are worried because the new variant, known as the Botswana variant and likely to be officially named Nu, is thought to evade the body’s immune response and be more contagious. I am.
- With the exception of South Africa, there are no direct flights to the United States from any of the seven countries. There are 13 flights a week from South Africa.
Thousands of people have landed in the United States South Africa Every week, despite being new COVID-19 (new coronavirus infection) A variant that raised concerns that Britain and Israel had virtually stopped traveling from the region on Thursday.
This variant is found primarily in Botswana (where there are no direct flights to the United States) and adjacent South Africa.
United Airlines is currently from Johannesburg New York City Seven days a week, a 16-hour flight departs at 10 pm and arrives at Newark at 7 am.
United also operates three weekly direct flights from Cape Town to New York City on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
United will fly the Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner, which can accommodate 290 people.
Delta will fly directly from Johannesburg to Atlanta on Saturdays, Mondays and Thursdays.
They use the Airbus A350-900, which can seat between 300 and 350 people.
On Thursday, British Health Minister Sajid Javid warned about what he called the “worst ever” super-mutant COVID variant.
On October 21, a baby cries when a mother receives a Pfizer vaccine against COVID-19 at the Diepsloot Township near Johannesburg, South Africa.
He said the vaccine could be at least 40% less effective and, as a result, banned flights from countries in South Africa and five other regions.
Experts have previously explained that the B.1.1.529 variant has more than 30 mutations. This suggests that the variant is the most recorded so far, twice as much as Delta, and may be more jab resistant and contagious than any previous version.
This variant, which could be named “Nu” by the World Health Organization in the coming days, has caused an increase in “exponential” infections in South Africa and has already spread to three countries, including Hong Kong and Botswana. Is believed to be. That it has appeared.
In response, Javid announced that flights from South Africa, Namibia, Lesotho, Botswana, Eswatini and Zimbabwe will be suspended from noon on Friday and all six countries will be added to the Red List.
No cases have been detected in the UK so far, but all returnees from South Africa in the last 10 days will be contacted and asked to be tested.
Scientists warned of a new “worst-ever” COVID variant that could reduce the effectiveness of the vaccine by 40%
Source link Scientists warned of a new “worst-ever” COVID variant that could reduce the effectiveness of the vaccine by 40%