Hundreds of migrants have been displaced from overcrowded immigration centers in Kent – the government has been accused of hosting a “shamble”.
The Manston processing center, which is designed to hold up to 1,600 people in less than 24 hours, had 4,000 people on site as of Monday.
Sky News reports that some migrants have threatened to self-harm or go on hunger strike, with unrest reportedly “spreading throughout the camp.”
New figures also show that 1,322 asylum-seeking children were held in hotels rather than long-term accommodation facilities during the three-month period, of whom 222 are missing.
Last night Immigration Minister Robert Jenrick said there had been “good progress” in easing overcrowding in Manston and that the number of migrants had fallen “significantly”.
Jenric said he expected more people to move in today, saying: “Unless an unexpectedly large number of migrants are received in small boats in the coming days, numbers will drop significantly this week.
“It is imperative that the site returns to a sustainable operating model, and we are doing everything we can to ensure that it happens quickly.”
Local Conservative MP Roger Gale also said “hundreds” had been relocated, but it was unclear whether they were taken to hospital or to separate accommodation.
Sir Roger warned on Monday that the situation in Manston was a “violation of humanitarian conditions” and said overcrowding was “totally unacceptable” given reported outbreaks of MRSA and diphtheria.
The British Red Cross also said that ‘immediate action is needed to ensure that men, women and children who have just made a dangerous and potentially traumatic journey can meet their basic needs in a safe environment. It is clear that it is necessary.
“You should not experience overcrowded accommodation where you could be at risk of illness and illegally detained.”
“Anxiety is spreading throughout the camp.”
In an exclusive interview, Sky News reports that some migrants in Manston have reportedly threatened to self-harm or go on hunger strike in protest of being detained.
The Association of Prison Officers, representing 170 people working in the field, said assistant general secretary Andy Baxter witnessed the situation during a recent visit to the center and warned that “anxiety is spreading throughout the camp.” .
Baxter told Sky’s Lisa Holland:
“When our members cannot answer them, people start threatening to hold a seated protest, threaten to go on a hunger strike, or threaten to harm themselves.”
He said some POA members are concerned about their personal safety, and there have been several incidents of making handmade “weapons” using things like wooden cutlery and toothbrushes.
Baxter warned that it could eventually lead to a “serious breakdown of public order” in Manston, adding: “So far there have been no cases of these weapons being used by anyone. It seems to be what you want.I’m really worried.”
Some people in Manston have been there for weeks because there is no alternative accommodation to move to.
It’s hard to talk to people inside because their phones are off.
But the charity Humans for Rights Network shared accounts with Sky News of two asylum seekers who were in Manston about a month ago. Her 16-year-old teenager, both from Sudan, is currently staying in a hotel in London.
One said, “I spent 17 days in Manston. I slept in a blanket and was covered with another blanket, but it wasn’t enough for me and I felt cold. During my stay, There were fights between people every day.”
Another said, “There were no beds in the tents, not even chairs. We slept with food boxes on the floor.
“I was wearing the clothes I was given when I arrived, but they were soaked with rainwater.
While unable to independently verify these testimonies, Baxter described seeing “a large marquee with very poor furnishings” and said there was a shortage of beds and furniture.
Council struggles to respond
Local authorities away from Manston have “grave concerns” about unaccompanied children being sent to hotels by the Home Office.
More than 1,300 child migrants have stayed in hotels this summer, and as of October 19, 222 of these young people are missing.
Interior Secretary Suela Braverman said that if a child goes missing from a hotel accommodation, the interior ministry will “operate a robust missing persons protocol, working very closely with local authorities and the police”. rice field.
The Local Government Association is urging the government to work more closely with parliament to help children coming to the UK without parents or guardians.
“The council does not want the government to place children in hotels, which is totally inappropriate for unaccompanied children,” said Louise Gittens, chair of the LGA’s Children and Youth Committee.
“It is highly concerning and unreasonable that these hotels, introduced as a short-term emergency measure, continue to be used, especially as the number of missing children continues to rise.
“There is an urgent need for plans to address this crisis and ensure that children can be moved quickly to settlements.”
Yesterday the Senators criticized Mr Braverman and Labor’s Home Affairs spokesperson Lord Corker described the asylum situation as a “pandemonium” with “disastrous consequences for the people”.
His Liberal Democrat counterpart Lord Paddick attacked the Home Secretary’s “dismal track record” in claims processing and the “reckless rhetoric”.
But former Brexit chief Lord Frost has defended Mr Braverman, saying he “seems almost obsessive in his pursuit of a home secretary who is dealing with a series of very difficult substantive issues. I’ve seen this stuff over the past few days.
“Leaks, anonymous briefings, tracking based on normal hypersensitivity to language.”
https://news.sky.com/story/migrants-moved-from-overcrowded-centre-as-figures-show-222-children-put-in-hotels-are-missing-12736129 Migrants moved from overcrowded centers – figures show 222 children who were put in hotels are missing.british news