Heavy cannabis use can enhance the risk of dependence in some people; you might wonder if CBD addiction is also possible as it’s one of many compounds found in the cannabis plant.
This article will explain what research says about the addictive potential of CBD.
What Does Research Say?
Addiction is defined as excessive use of a substance (drug addiction) and the inability to stop using it despite its negative health effects.
In the cannabis plant, researchers have mainly studied two compounds that appear to have the greatest impact on human health.
- Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)
- Cannabidiol (CBD)
|✔ THC is the foremost psychoactive compound in the cannabis plant that is known to promote a high sensation.
✔ THC reacts with endocannabinoid receptors in your brain that are associated with pleasure.
|✔ CBD is “non-psychoactive” which means you don’t feel “high” after consuming it.
✔ CBD also interacts with endocannabinoid receptors but doesn’t produce intoxicating effects like THC.
- The World Health Organization stated that pure CBD doesn’t indicate dependence or abuse potential (1).
- A research study on 31 adults concludes that THC produced euphoric effects while CBD did not associate with any euphoric effects (2).
- Research also suggests that CBD is well tolerated and has a good safety profile (3).
CBD Might Help Treat Addiction
CBD itself is not addictive; instead, it may help treat drug addiction.
- A review study found that CBD can help treat cannabis and nicotine addiction (4).
- Evidence also indicated that it might have benefits in the treatment of tobacco, opioid, and psychostimulant addiction (5).
- Research also suggests that CBD might lower the substance use disorder associated with cocaine and methamphetamine (6).
Pure CBD doesn’t appear to be addictive; instead, it may help treat addiction. If you are thinking about trying CBD, there are many ways to introduce it into your life. For example, CBD drinks from OTO are delicious and contain safe amounts of CBD. Consulting with your healthcare provider before introducing CBD into your daily routine is always recommended.