The Interior Ministry has confirmed that the first deportation flight to take asylum seekers to Rwanda will not take place as planned after last-minute legal appeals.
The source said that the plane, which was ready on the runway of the Ministry of Defense in Boscombe Down, Amesbury, will not leave due to “the last minute intervention of the European Court of Human Rights.”
Interior Minister Priti Patel said the government “will not stop doing the right thing – implementing our plans to control our country’s borders” despite the cancellation of the first flight to Rwanda.
He warned that “many of those removed from today’s flight will be placed on the next one.”
“I have always said that this policy will not be easy to implement, I am disappointed that the legal dispute, the last-minute demands mean that today’s flight could not leave,” said the Minister of Internal Affairs.
“It is very surprising that the European Court of Human Rights has intervened despite our repeated successes in our domestic courts.
“These recurring legal barriers are similar to the barriers we experience on other departure flights. Many of those removed from this flight will be placed on the next flight.
“We will not stop doing the right thing, implementing our plans to control our country’s borders. “Our legal team is reviewing every decision made on this flight, and preparations for the next flight are starting now.”
Earlier in the day, it was confirmed that the two men, who were due to be deported to East Africa, had been delayed from leaving the UK following a recent effort by lawyers.
It is clear that the European Court, which has upheld an urgent interim measure blocking the release of one Iraqi detainee, is considering a number of other lawsuits.
A total of seven people were expected to board the flight before successful interventions.
Challenges for four asylum seekers on board were previously rejected.
The fifth man lost his appeal to the Supreme Court after a panel of three judges denied him permission to challenge him. The decision of the Court of Appeal that the flight to Rwanda could continue.
This rejected the application of the Public Trade Services Union of two refugee charities.
For a brief reasoning of the decision, Lord Reid, President of the Court, said that there was “confidence” that if the government’s policy of expelling Rwandan asylum seekers was declared illegal, steps would be taken to repatriate all migrants. to the Middle Eastern African nation.
Rwanda’s policy condemned as ‘immoral’
It: plans to send individuals to Rwanda has been challenged in court and condemned by the senior bishops of the Church of England as an “immoral policy”.
But Prime Minister Boris Johnson insisted the policy was aimed at “providing safe, legal routes for people to come to the United Kingdom to oppose illegal and dangerous routes”.
The prime minister told reporters on Tuesday that the program “may take some time to work properly, but that does not mean we will not continue.”
Asked whether it would be necessary to withdraw from the European Convention on Human Rights to limit legal challenges, Mr Johnson added: The options are under constant review. “
“Stop the deportations” protesters had earlier taken direct action to resist the first deportation flight by locking themselves with metal pipes and blocking the exits of the Colnbrook’s immigration center in Heathrow, where the remaining people were supposedly being held on board by the Interior Ministry. .
The Prime Minister promises to “continue” Rwanda’s policy
The PA news agency reported that it turns out that there is currently no way for the Interior Ministry to appeal the decision.
Responding to the cancellation of the flight, the Executive Director of the Refugee Council, Enver Solomon, said: “The fact that the last flight failed was a testament to the government’s complete refusal to see the face of the program’s inhumanity.”
“There are people at risk of deportation who have fled war, persecution, torture and violence, many of whom have only been allowed to fly because of individual legal interventions, which they have declared to be a clear violation of their human rights.”
Mr. Solomon continued. “The government must immediately reconsider France հետ sharing the responsibility with adults and the EU on a regular, humanitarian and just asylum system.”
Mark Servotka, Secretary General of the Public Trade Union, added: “We are pleased that the courts have decided to suspend this flight.
“It’s time for the government to end this inhumane policy, which is at the bottom of the gesture policy, and to start regulating the asylum system so that those who come to our country seeking asylum are treated fairly in accordance with the law.”
Before the mayor of London Sadiq Khan wrote in tweets: “Sending thousands of people fleeing violence to a country thousands of miles away was already cruel. It is also potentially illegal now. “
The government has called for an “immediate review” of deportation plans
The four potential deportees who previously lost Supreme Court appeals to avoid boarding include:
• An Iraqi Kurd who suffered from PTSD in Turkey while traveling to the UK filed a lawsuit asking not to be expelled because of his mental health հարաբերությունների relationship with his sister, who lives in the UK.
• A Vietnamese man who claimed to have received death threats from credit sharks in Vietnam, which was also rejected after a judge rejected an argument that he had been denied translation services.
• A man who left Iran for the UK with his 21-year-old son asked the court to prevent his expulsion because of his mental health and right to family life.
• An application by a Kurdish man who was also denied an appeal.
The government has rejected this figure, but it is estimated that the flight will cost one hundred thousand pounds.
Downing Street says the current approach to taxpayers in the UK costs միլի 1.5 billion a year, and hotel asylum seekers are expected to pay միլիոն 5 million a day.
Last year, more than 28,000 people crossed the English Channel in small boats, three times the number seen in 2020.
More than half were Iranians or Iraqis, and people from Eritrea and Syria also crossed, according to the Interior Ministry.
Interior Ministry confirms first deportation flight to Rwanda halted after last minute legal appeals | Political news
Source Interior Ministry confirms first deportation flight to Rwanda halted after last minute legal appeals | Political news