How to write a motivation essay for a college? This question often baffles students. If there are rules? Below we will tell you everything about writing a bright motivation essay, the content of which will surely please any admissions committee. Those applicants who find it difficult to present themselves in the writing form should seek help. They can pay for college essays and save lots of time on brainstorming and writing. Professional writers know best how to present your candidacy in high-quality writing.
What is a motivation essay?
A motivation essay is a 1 A4-page essay that a student attaches to other documents when applying to a college. In a motivation essay, the student should write about himself or herself, talk about his or her merits, talents, and why exactly he or she should be enrolled in the course. It is by the motivation essay that the admissions committee can judge the personality of the applicant, his or her goals, and merits.
How to write a motivation essay
Creating a motivation essay is not an easy process since you need to maintain a balance between creative and formal papers, tell about yourself what will be remembered by the admission committee, and show you a worthy candidate. You need to do it in perfect English within 300 words. Another difficulty is related to the lack of mandatory requirements for a motivation essay: you can find examples in different languages on the net, but none of them is mandatory to follow.
Experts recommend taking a few weeks to create a good motivation essay: first, study the requirements of the college, if possible, find examples of essays, make a draft of the text, and put it aside. It is necessary to return to the essay in order to look at the text with a fresh eye, to evaluate the logic of reasoning, the coherence of the text and its persuasiveness, and the completeness of your answer. Returning to the text over and over again, you can bring it to perfection. This is a long and painstaking work, which, no doubt, can be done in the shortest possible time – but, in this way, most likely, you will lose in quality and will not convey to the admission committee what you wanted to say.
There is no one-size-fits-all approach for a motivation essay: it all depends on the chosen program, on your life story, on the real reason for participating in the selection, on your goal, on the prospects that will open before you, and on how convincing you can be in the text.
Despite the fact that the essay is written in free form, you should avoid writing mistakes:
- Use of slang, flirtatious tone, shortening of words and phrases. The text should be taken seriously, and be consistent in the same style.
- Violation of the rules of spelling and punctuation. If the essay is written illiterately, its content will not be paid attention to.
- Lots of expressive means. The text should be easy to read; you should not force the admission committee to return to the same phrase several times in order to understand it.
- A large amount of text. Stick to the word limit set by the admission committee; you should not write your thoughts on several pages because admission officers value their time.
- Lack of facts to support what was written.
- Mentioning details that are not relevant to enrolling in a college.
- Lack of thoughts of your own, overuse of quotes.
A quality essay will set the candidate apart in the eyes of the admission committee. It is not uncommon for them to make a decision on the applicant on the basis of an essay, not focusing on GPA.
What you should know about writing a motivation essay
With the help of an essay, an admission officer can evaluate:
- The applicant will have to write lots of academic papers. That’s why his or her language must be impeccable. The ability to write without mistakes is especially important for those who enroll in English and literature, journalism, marketing, PR, and other similar courses.
- Ability to answer a question. This means not changing the topic and not straying from it in the course of reasoning. For example, it would be a mistake to devote half or even the entire text to describing your professional plans in the essay “My Study Achievements.”
- The ability to express yourself clearly. The author of the essay should be able to highlight the main idea and describe it in simple words.
- Professional competence. For example, you can write how well you are familiar with the course you chose.
- Knowledge of the college. The essay helps to assess the applicant’s motivation to study in this particular college, the awareness of his or her choice, and understanding of the college culture and its values.
We hope that this guide helped you to understand how to write a motivation essay for college. The most important thing is to remember that the paper should distinguish you favorably from other candidates. Good luck!