Former U.S. Secretary of Defense Mark Esper alleges an “unjustly” edited boss in his next memoir about his tenure under Trump after being fired after the disappearance of the former president. Filed a lawsuit against the Pentagon.
Esper, 57, filed a proceeding in the Federal District Court in Washington on Sunday. DC In his book A Sacred Oath, he claimed that “important texts have been properly withheld from publication.”
The book, which was scheduled to be published in May, was brought back to Esper with many edits and edits without explanation. He even claims to be under pressure to change “nouns and verbs” in the text.
Esper’s proceedings allege that the memoirs did not contain sensitive information and did not pose any kind of national security risk. He says the anecdotes of the memoirs seem to have been leaked to the press, and other controversial parts are focused on information already in the public domain.
“Important texts are inappropriately withheld from appearing in Esper’s manuscript in the guise of classification,” the proceedings read. The New York Times.
“The withheld text is important to tell the important story discussed in the manuscript.”
Former Secretary of Defense Mark Esper, 57, sued the Pentagon on Sunday after important information was edited from his next memoir, A Sacred Oath.
The memoir is said to contain information about service under Trump after Esper was in office after being dismissed last November due to the defeat of the former president in the 2020 elections. ..Trump is depicted sitting next to Esper in October 2019
Regarding redacting, Esper said they had’Asked me not to quote former President Trump and others at meetings, explain conversations between him and me, or use specific verbs or nouns to describe historical events. ..
“I was also asked to remove my views on the actions of other countries, conversations with foreign officials, and widely reported international events,” he added.
‘Many items were already in the public domain. Some have been issued by the Department of Defense.
According to the proceedings, Esper, who served as Secretary of Defense from July 2019 to November 2020, submitted a draft manuscript to the Pre-Publish and Security Review Defense Department in May.
“As Secretary of Defense for nearly 18 months, he overcame unprecedented civil unrest, public health crises, heightened threats abroad, Pentagon transformation, and times when the White House appeared to be devoted to evading the Constitution. Led the Pentagon, “said the lawsuit.
“The Holy Oath is an unvarnished, candid memoir of Secretary Esper about these notable and dangerous times.”
However, he said the pre-publication process of the memoirs took a considerable amount of time, as Esper had been monitoring the procedure for about six months.
Pentagon refrained from commenting further on the proceedings
Esper said his next memoir, due out in May, is intended to provide readers with “a complete and innocent explanation of our history, especially the more difficult times.” Stated.
In November, about six months after submitting the manuscript for review, Esper emailed his successor, Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III, about concerns about the process.
He also told Austin that he was trying to speed up the process by email, talking to Kelly Magsamen, the chief of the US Secretary of Defense staff, and Michael B. Donley, the director of administration and administration. “Try to find a compromised language” in the unit.
“I’m grateful for their efforts, but I shouldn’t have to change my views, opinions, or explanations of events just because they may be too frank for regular diplomatic rituals,” Esper said. Added to the email.
He also said the review process was “about protecting sensitive information and not compromising national security. These are two important criteria that I am fully committed to.”
“My constitutional rights should not be diminished, as my story and choice of language can encourage offensive debate in the foreign policy community,” Esper added.
An email was sent to Esper’s successor, Lloyd Austin, regarding concerns about the manuscript review process.
However, Austin allegedly did not respond to Esper after the email was sent.
The manuscript was returned to Esper shortly after making various edits, even after claiming that the memoirs did not contain sensitive information.
According to Esper, multiple words, sentences and paragraphs from about 60 pages of the manuscript have been edited.
“No written explanation was provided to justify the deletion,” he wrote.
Esper also said in a statement that his book was intended to provide readers with “a complete and innocent explanation of the history of our country, especially the more difficult times.”
“I’m disappointed that the current administration violates the rights of my First Amendment,” he added.
“And it’s a shame that the only way I can currently use to tell the American people my whole story is legal.”
Esper added that some stories from his next manuscript were also printed in news articles.
“At least one story is more than a year old and is known to only a handful of Pentagon officials, but it hasn’t been publicly discussed so far and the timing of its appearance seems questionable.” I read the proceedings.
“(Department) was unable to demonstrate the existence of substantial government interests that would allow the disclosure of unclassified information within Esper’s manuscript.”
Former National Security Adviser John Bolton was sued by President Trump after printing personal information intended to be withheld in his memoir “The Room Where It Happened”. ..
Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said he was informed of Esper’s concerns.
“Like all such reviews, the department takes the obligation to balance national security with the desires of the author’s story seriously,” Kirby said.
“Given that this issue is currently in proceedings, I refrain from commenting further.”
And this is not the first time political authorities have attempted silence to work under the Trump administration.
The memoir The Room Where It Happened is about the time when former National Security Adviser John Bolton worked under Trump.
Authorities allegedly tried to silence Bolton because it contained information that Trump wanted to keep secret from the public.
It was published with Trump suing Bolton for profit anyway, and a criminal investigation was opened on the case.
The proceedings and investigation were subsequently withdrawn by US Attorney General Merrick B. Garland in June.
Former U.S. Secretary of Defense Mark Esper sues Pentagon
Source link Former U.S. Secretary of Defense Mark Esper sues Pentagon