World

Espen Andersen Brathen: What You Know About the Norwegian Bow and Arrow Killer Suspicion | World News

Espen Andersen Brathen was charged with murdering five people after an attacker with a bow and arrow rampaged in a Norwegian town.

Authorities say Wednesday incident Kongsberg-about 41 miles southwest of Oslo- “It’s like a terrorist act.” Targeted “fully random” people..

Here’s what we know about the 37-year-old murder suspect, who allegedly admitted the attack.

Kongsberg 20211013 .. An arrow stands on the wall after a person moves around with a weapon allegedly an arrow and a bow at the Kongsberg Center. Photo: Terje Bendiksby / NTB
image:
Four women and one man aged 50-70 years were killed and three others were injured. Photo: Terje Bendiksby / NTB

Brathen is a Danish citizen, but lives in Kongsberg for almost all of his life.

Police said the suspect had been convicted several times in the past and confirmed that he had converted to Islam.

He was sentenced to six months in custody last year after refusing to leave the house and threatening to kill one of his two alleged parents.

Norwegian broadcaster NRK reported that Brassen left the Colt revolver on the couch and police believed he could harm them.

Details of the Kongsberg attack

He was convicted of robbery and possession of cannabis in 2012, and regional police chief Ole Bredrup Saeverud said police had previously contacted him about concerns about his exacerbation.

An acquaintance of Brathen told NRK that the murder suspect had long suffered from serious mental health problems. Authorities say he will be evaluated by forensic and psychiatric experts.

Use Chrome Browser for a more accessible video player

Police helicopter at the scene of a bow and arrow attack

In December 2017, a friend involved also flagged Brathen’s online video, the Aftenposten newspaper reported.

Looking at the camera, he is said to have confirmed that he was a Muslim, described himself as a “messenger” with a “warning” and added that “the time has come”.

A friend said Brasen was a “time bomb” that changed in his late teens and became a lonely person who kept people away.

He was “painful enough that something had to happen,” a friend told the newspaper.

Currently under investigation
image:
Currently under investigation

Neighbors also told Aftenposten that they saw Brasen practicing “brutal” martial arts in the yard and training with a weapon called a “club or baton.”

One said police had been to Brasen’s house several times last summer and the photos were circulated in a group chat allegedly showing a helmeted police officer in his yard.

Police say they believe they randomly targeted people in co-op supermarkets and elsewhere in Kongsburg before they were arrested on the streets.

Four women and one man between the ages of 50 and 70 were killed and three others were injured.

Use Chrome Browser for a more accessible video player

Half-mast flags and candles were lit after the Norwegian attack

Brathen has been detained on preliminary charges and will face formal charges on Friday.

“The whole act seems to be a terrorist act,” Hans Sverre of Norway, head of intelligence in Norway, told reporters.

“I don’t know what the perpetrator’s motive was,” he added. “We have to wait for the results of the investigation.”

Espen Andersen Brathen: What You Know About the Norwegian Bow and Arrow Killer Suspicion | World News

Source link Espen Andersen Brathen: What You Know About the Norwegian Bow and Arrow Killer Suspicion | World News

Back to top button