North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said “a major disaster” had befallen his country after it was reported that there were 21 new deaths of “unknown origin” by people with fever.
The state news agency KCNA said about 280,810 people had been treated and 27 had died since a fever began to occur in the country since the end of April.
It did not mention COVID-19.
Thursday North Korea has one death announced by coronavirus – and the leader of the country ordered a strict national lockdown.
KCNA quoted Mr Kim as saying the health crisis was caused by the “incompetence and irresponsibility of party organizations in their anti-epidemic response.”
Efforts must be made to overcome the epidemic in the shortest possible time, KCNA quoted Mr Kim as adding, adding that “it is a major unrest”.
The provisional public permit of COVID infections highlight the potential for a major crisis in a country that has refused to accept international aid with vaccination and closed its borders.
The epidemic could have serious consequences due to the country’s poor health care system and its 26 million people are believed to be mostly unintentional.
COVID-19: North Korea’s Major Disaster ‘Announces 21’ Short-Term ‘Deaths | World news
Source link COVID-19: North Korea’s Major Disaster ‘Announces 21’ Short-Term ‘Deaths | World news