Hit West End Musical Hamilton and The Lion King have announced further cancellations due to “continuous COVID forced absenteeism” among cast and crew members.
Hamilton, located at the Victoria Palace Theater in central London, was scheduled to reopen after Wednesday’s evening show was canceled, but producers couldn’t get it to work.
The Lion King screening at the Lyceum Theater was also canceled earlier in the week, and the boss said it could be December 21st before returning to the stage.
It comes as coronavirus The Premier League infection has recently postponed the fifth match, and Manchester United’s match against Brighton was canceled on Saturday due to the high number of Covid-19 cases at the Red Devils Camp.
Brentford FC manager Thomas Frank has called for postponement of all matches this weekend. In the ongoing COVID crisis.
In the music sector, Scottish pop band Deacon Blue is the latest act to postpone the show, saying “you shouldn’t be asked to join the gig right now.” At the beginning of December Stereophonics gigs in Cardiff have been postponed until 2022..
Hamilton’s boss confirmed that Thursday’s Matinee and night performances were off and said he would provide more information “as soon as possible” about the show scheduled for Friday, December 17th.
The US counterpart of the musical on Broadway in New York has also been affected by the rise in COVID infections and announced cancellation hours before Wednesday’s curtain due to a “breakthrough” virus. ..
What other West End and British theater and musicals have been affected by the outbreak of COVID?
Due to the increasing number of cases of coronavirus and the rapid spread of new Omicron variants, some shows had to be temporarily closed.
- Two performances at the Playhouse Theater, Cabaret at the Kit-Cat Club, starring Eddie Redmayne and Jessie Buckley, were canceled on Wednesday after behind-the-scenes crew members tested positive. I did.
- Based on the Booker Prize-winning novel, Life Of Pi has five shows at the Wyndham’s Theatre, following “some cases of COVID in-house,” despite “strong measures taken.” I discarded it.
- The Sleeping Beauty-based hex at the National Theater was also canceled until Thursday
- The strange case of a dog at night at the Troubador Theater Wembley will be canceled until Friday
- The comedy of errors by the Royal Shakespeare Company in Barbican, London has also been postponed and we hope to resume production on December 23rd.
- Donmar Warehouse’s irresistible force will be canceled until Friday
The pre-Christmas preparation period is one of the busiest times for the theater, especially this year after the 2020 pandemic has canceled or postponed many works.
With the reopening of the venue, it will be possible to perform without limit on the number of spectators, and many venues will carry out the See It Safely scheme by SOLT (Society of London Theater) and UK theater groups, and will put a special mark on the venue. You can now do it. After signing up for the Code of Conduct once and proving that they are following the latest guidance.
Audiences are required to wear a mask and present their COVID passport to participate in production in the UK.
A spokesperson for SOLT and UK Theater said the current increase in incidents “creates a difficult situation for theaters across the UK at the most important times in the sector.”
They continued. “Ticket sales continue to be strong during Christmas, but show cancellations due to cast and crew illness are exacerbated by requests for refunds and exchanges to COVID-related viewers, and the venue is expected over the next few weeks. It’s getting tougher. “
COVID-19: Hamilton and The Lion King Musical Announces Further Cancellation Due to Coronavirus Cases | Ent & Arts News
Source link COVID-19: Hamilton and The Lion King Musical Announces Further Cancellation Due to Coronavirus Cases | Ent & Arts News