Sports

Conor McGregor Vows “No More Mr. Nice Guy”

Conor McGregor has promised to return to his old trash-talking ways as he focuses on exacting revenge on Dustin Poirier. McGregor posted a photograph of himself on his popular Instagram page with the caption “No more Mr. Nice Guy.”

McGregor’s comment comes after his shock defeat at the hands of Poirier at UFC 257 in Abu Dhabi last month. All the UFC betting sites had McGregor as a substantial favorite to beat Poirier as he had done previously at UFC 178. Poirier had other ideas, however, and he upset the odds with a second-round TKO, the first time McGregor had suffered a loss by knockout in his 27 professional fight career.

A hugely disappointed McGregor told reporters at the post-fight interview that he was gutted to lose and blamed his recent inactivity for his third defeat in six fights.

“It’s hard to overcome inactivity over long periods of time. And that’s just it. The leg kicks were good. That low calf was very good. The leg was dead and I just wasn’t comfortable as I needed to be. It’s inactivity and that’s it. But Dustin is some fighter. If you put in the time in here, you’re going to get cozy in here and that’s it. I have to dust it off and come back and that’s it. And that’s what I’ll do.”

Conor McGregor Vows No More Mr Nice Guy

“Poirier vs McGregor” by NCFC is licensed under CC BY 3.0

                    McGregor Needs To Return to Bad Boy Image

 

The man they call Notorious said he plans to fight again this year and he hinted at a trilogy fight with Poirier as they have one win apiece. A title fight against arch-rival Khabib Nurmagomedov won’t be happening as McGregor has slipped down the pecking order and by quite some distance.

UFC’s Dana White is keen for McGregor and Nate Diaz to step into the octagon for a trilogy fight with the fighters 1-1 against each other, but Poirier is the most likely to take on McGregor.

“One apiece now with a trilogy bout for all the marbles! Wow! Exciting!” said McGregor as he reflected on his UFC 257 defeat.

The Irishman’s Instagram post stating “No more Mr. Nice Guy” caught the attention of former UFC welterweight Ben Askren who appeared on the Real Quick with Mike Swick podcast.

“Conor without the s**t talk is a lot less effective,” Askren said. “I mean if you just look at the Poirier fight, in the first fight, he goes him really upset, right? And Poirier got overextended, tried to fight too hard, and boom, clips him and puts him down. Jose Aldo, gets him mad, Aldo rushes in, boom puts him down.”

“And now in these last couple of fights, we’ve seen this, I don’t know, nicer, happy, more mature guy. I don’t know what to call it. It’s not the same Conor we saw five years ago.”

“Conor McGregor” by CBSsports is licensed under CC BY 3.0

                    McGregor Team Mate Warns Off Jake Paul

 

While UFC fans wait to see what McGregor means by ditching his Mr Nice guy persona, his teammate Frans Mlambo has warned off YouTuber Jake Paul.

Paul is best known for his viral videos on YouTube but is embarking on a professional boxing career. He’s 2-0 so far, but has only fought fellow YouTuber “AnEsonGib” and former NBA player Nate Robinson, neither of who had any prior experience in the ring.

He fights the aforementioned Askren on April 17 but it is a multi-million dollar clash with McGregor that Paul has his sights set on.

Paul claimed to have a $50 million purse waiting for McGregor if the Dubliner would box him. An expletive-filled tirade aimed insults and slurs at McGregor and his partner, but McGregor kept his lips sealed.

Mlambo says this is probably for the best because it could be dangerous for Paul if McGregor takes him up on his ludicrous offer.

“I thought the whole thing was ridiculous. Conor would try and make an example out of him. Conor is rich and all but he’s still one of the boys and he doesn’t take s**t.”

Back to top button