United Kingdom

Button batteries burn meat in 90 minutes և they are swallowed more and more by children | UK news

According to the leading pediatric surgeon, the number of children in need of surgery is increasing after receiving button batteries.

The increase is in line with trends in the United States, where serious accidents involving children swallowing small batteries have increased sevenfold in the last 20 years.

Paolo De Cope from Great Ormond Street Hospital in London told Sky News: “We have seen a huge increase in the number of surgeries due to button batteries for children admitted to the hospital.

“Some of the early symptoms of COVID that these children had, such as suffocation, can be misinterpreted as symptoms of COVID.”

Mr De Cope warned that these batteries, found in everyday items such as watches, hearing aids and toys, were attractive to toddlers and toddlers because they were shiny, small enough to fit in their mouths.

He added. “Even if they are not fully charged, swallowed batteries can cause almost immediate damage to the intestines, sometimes the airways.

“If the button battery gets stuck somewhere in the esophagus, it can even cause perforation in the esophagus.”

It happened to Holly Phillips’s son Ralphi, a few days before his first birthday.

“I saw that he put something in his mouth, he made a strange face, as if he was eating a lemon for the first time,” he recalls.

Image:
Holly Phillips և Ralph

Holly said she thought Ralphie had eaten a piece of cereal, but within minutes it got worse.

“He was just vomiting bullets everywhere, but it did not look like a disease bee, it was like brown blood.

“We went down for an X-ray. When we got up again, I was told it was a button battery. If your son had surgery now, he would die very soon.

Ralph was indeed operated on and survived the incident, but security advocates say more needs to be done to prevent other children from being hospitalized.

Read more: After the death of a three-year-old girl, new guidelines were given for batteries

According to the leading pediatric surgeon, the number of children in need of surgery is increasing after receiving button batteries.
Image:
Duracell launches new public health campaign to encourage parents to check for dangerous batteries in their home

Duracell has launched a new public health campaign that encourages parents to check for dangerous batteries in their homes.

The battery maker has also released a replacement battery coated with Bitrex, the world’s bitterest material, to stop swallowing babies and toddlers.

Emma Hammett, executive director of First Aid for Life, says batteries that mix with saliva release a chemical commonly found in leachate cleaners.

Battery testing on a piece of meat has yielded alarming findings.

According to the leading pediatric surgeon, the number of children in need of surgery is increasing after receiving button batteries. The battery test on a piece of meat gave alarming conclusions.
Image:
This is the damage that the button battery did to the piece of meat 90 minutes later

“In 30 minutes it sings, in an hour it burns, in about an hour and a half it actually emits smoke.”

Mr De Kopi hopes the new campaign will help reduce the risk to children, making parents fully aware that “these batteries are dangerous and how quickly they can be damaged”.

Button batteries burn meat in 90 minutes և they are swallowed more and more by children | UK news

Source Button batteries burn meat in 90 minutes և they are swallowed more and more by children | UK news

Back to top button