Sports

Allegations of racist abuse among crowd in Edgbaston under investigation

An investigation is underway into allegations of racist abuse among the crowd on day four of the fifth Test between England and India at Edgbaston.

Officials at the Birmingham site have confirmed they are looking into the social media complaints, highlighted by former yorkshire cricketer Azem Rafiqdiscriminatory comments from spectators on Monday.

Stuart Cain, Managing Director of Edgbaston, said: ‘I am disgusted by these reports as we work hard to make Edgbaston a safe and welcoming environment for all.


No one should be subjected to any form of abuse in Edgbaston

Stuart Cain, Managing Director of Edgbaston

“After seeing the initial tweets I spoke personally to the gentleman who raised them and we are now speaking to stewards in this area to establish what happened.

“No one should be subjected to any form of abuse at Edgbaston. So once we have all the facts, we will ensure this issue is addressed quickly.”

Rafiq retweeted a thread detailing some of the incidents with the comment “Disappointing to read”.

His testimony before a parliamentary select committee last year sparked an investigation into his allegations of institutional racism in Yorkshire, leading to charges against the ECB and ultimately major reforms.

The Bharat Army, India’s official partisan group, later reported that “many” of its members on the ground had been targeted by “a very small minority”.

A message on his Twitter account read: “Sad to say that many of our members have experienced racist abuse from a very small minority of individuals. We will be working with @Edgbaston to share all of your comments.

“Thank you to those English fans who have supported us.”

The England and Wales Cricket Board said he was “very concerned” by the reports and reiterated his position on racism.

An ECB statement read: “We are very concerned to hear reports of racist abuse during today’s test match. We are in contact with colleagues from Edgbaston, who will investigate.

“There is no place for racism in cricket.”

The latest incidents came as England staged a superb fightback that left them well placed to claim a remarkable series win on Tuesday.

Set at 378 to win, England had reduced their target to 119 by the end of play on day four with seven wickets in hand thanks to an unbeaten fourth wicket of 150 between Joe Root and Jonny Bairstowwhich will pick up the unreleased 76 and the unreleased 72, respectively.

Allegations of racist abuse among crowd in Edgbaston under investigation

Source link Allegations of racist abuse among crowd in Edgbaston under investigation

Back to top button