World

Albert of Monaco reportedly paid Charlene £10million to make sure she fulfils her Royal duties

Prince Albert of Monaco has signed an ‘ultra-confidential contract’ to pay his troubled wife Charlene more than £10m a year to fulfil her Royal duties, it was claimed today.

Leading French media reported that the 64-year-old ruler of the tax haven Mediterranean principality was doing everything possible to keep Princess Charlene, 44, ‘at his side at public events’.

It follows her return following a long period of illness that included almost a year away in her native South Africa and then months of treatment in Switzerland.

Major French outlets that specialise in celebrity news said Charlene’s sudden re-appearance at the weekend was welcomed by all Royal watchers.

‘But the Princess did not return at any price,’ magazine Voici reported. ‘She would have had her husband sign an ultra-confidential contract.’

Conditions include Albert paying Charlene ‘12 million euros [£10.2m] per year’, the outlet claims.

Prince Albert of Monaco has agreed to pay wife Princess Charlene (pictured with their children Jacques and Gabriella at a rugby tournament last week) £10m per year to attend public functions with him, French media has claimed

Princess Charlene is pictured with twins Prince Jacques and Princess Gabriella at the Sainte Devote Rugby Tournament in Monaco last week, after she returned home and resumed royal engagements

Princess Charlene is pictured with twins Prince Jacques and Princess Gabriella at the Sainte Devote Rugby Tournament in Monaco last week, after she returned home and resumed royal engagements

Charlene

Princess Charlene appeared at an official engagement with her husband Prince Albert of Monaco for the second consecutive week

Charlene spent most of 2021 and the early months of this year away from her family ‘suffering from illness’ before returning home in March and resuming public duties in April (left with daughter Gabriella in April at a Formula E race, and right with Jacques and Gabriella at a rugby tournament last week)

Charlene's first public appearance with her husband and children came on April 30 when they attended the Formula E World Championship in Monaco, after her year-long absence

Charlene’s first public appearance with her husband and children came on April 30 when they attended the Formula E World Championship in Monaco, after her year-long absence

The revelations were followed up by rival publication Paris Match Belgium, which writes: ‘Prince Albert would himself pay a tidy sum to the princess so that she appears at his side at public events.’

Events that Charlene could now be contractually obliged to attend include the F1 Grand Prix on May 29 and the Rose charity ball which has been rescheduled from March 19 to July 8.

The Royal Palace in Monte Carlo refuses to discuss specific financial arrangements, but the principality pays out some £40m a year to cover the institution’s running costs.

Royals are not salaried officials, however, meaning that Charlene would be reliant on Albert – a billionaire in his own right – for her own spending money.

Princess Charlene and Prince Albert II of Monaco attend a charity ball in the UK in 2011, the same year they wed

Princess Charlene and Prince Albert II of Monaco attend a charity ball in the UK in 2011, the same year they wed

A Royal insider based in Monte Carlo told Mail Online: ‘Of course the Princess enjoys huge perks, but ready cash is not guaranteed.

‘She’s been through a very difficult time, so it would make sense for Charlene to try and secure her own guaranteed income.’

The latest claims come amidst a turbulent time for the ruling Monegasque family, which began in early 2021 when Charlene departed the Mediterranean nation for South Africa – the country where she grew up.

It is unclear exactly when she left, but she was definitely in the country by March when she was pictured at the memorial for the late Zulu monarch, King Goodwill Zwelithini at the KwaKhethomthandayo Royal Palace.

That began an eight-month stint in the country when she was reported to be suffering a bad sinus infection and had to undergo several surgeries, claiming that doctor’s advice combined with the difficulties of Covid travel restrictions kept her from returning home.

Never-the-less, speculation began growing about the state of her marriage to Albert – the only son of actress Grace Kelly who was married to his father, Rainier III of Monaco – particularly after Albert appeared at a charity ball last year with Nicole Coste, his former lover, and their 17-year-old son.

Amid intense speculation, Albert told an anxious public that Charlene would be back in Monaco with her family for National Day celebrations on November 19.

Charlene did indeed return to Monaco in time for events, but just three days beforehand Albert was forced to announced that she would not attend.

Charlene left Monaco for South Africa - where she grew up - in early 2021 and spent eight months there, missing her wedding anniversary, before returning in November (pictured). She departed soon after for a clinic in Switzerland, where she spent another four months before coming home in March this year

Charlene left Monaco for South Africa – where she grew up – in early 2021 and spent eight months there, missing her wedding anniversary, before returning in November (pictured). She departed soon after for a clinic in Switzerland, where she spent another four months before coming home in March this year 

Amid rumours about the state of their marriage, Prince Albert and Princess Charlene released family portraits of them celebrating Easter this year having missed the previous year because Charlene was in South Africa

Amid rumours about the state of their marriage, Prince Albert and Princess Charlene released family portraits of them celebrating Easter this year having missed the previous year because Charlene was in South Africa 

Images of the family taking part in Easter services together were posted to Charlene's Instagram page with the caption 'Happy Easter' as the family tried to resume normal life

Images of the family taking part in Easter services together were posted to Charlene’s Instagram page with the caption ‘Happy Easter’ as the family tried to resume normal life 

The 44-year-old – a former Olympic swimmer who married Albert in 2011 and gave birth to twins Jacques and Gabriella in 2014 – then took off again, this time for a clinic in Switzerland.

Facing another prolonged period without his wife by his side, Albert announced to the country that she was suffering from ‘physical and mental exhaustion’ and was receiving treatment. 

After spending Christmas and New Year away from her family, Charlene returned in March this year and resumed public engagements the following month.

The first images of the family together were posted to Charlene’s Instagram account over Easter before she and her husband appeared with their seven-year-old twins at the Sainte Dévote Rugby Tournament last Saturday.

And last week, Charlene also joined the rest of her family at the Monaco E-Prix 2022.

There have been reports of a rift between the Prince and Princess ever since their high-profile marriage in 2011.

At the time, Charlene was dubbed the ‘Runaway Bride’ by the French media after allegedly trying to flee before the wedding, but the reports were always denied.

Distinguished Royal expert Stephane Bern is among those who have speculated that Charlene’s health is often used to try and disguise relationship problems.

‘The Palace has had to invoke a suffering princess so often that the Monegasques today find it hard to believe,’ he wrote in Paris Match last year. ‘By crying wolf, the mother of Jacques and Gabriella has discredited and isolated herself.’

Albert was hit with a legal claim for cash by an alleged illegitimate child in December 2020, and soon afterwards Charlene shaved half her head in the style of a punk rocker.

Prince Albert paid one public visit to his wife in South Africa during her time there, though photos of the couple appearing awkward together sparked fresh talk of difficulties in their marriage

Prince Albert paid one public visit to his wife in South Africa during her time there, though photos of the couple appearing awkward together sparked fresh talk of difficulties in their marriage

Prince Albert appears with his children Prince Jacques and Princess Gabriella of Monaco on the palace's balcony for Sainte Devote Celebrations in Monaco on January, joined by his sister Princess Caroline of Hanover in the absence of Charlene

Prince Albert appears with his children Prince Jacques and Princess Gabriella of Monaco on the palace’s balcony for Sainte Devote Celebrations in Monaco on January, joined by his sister Princess Caroline of Hanover in the absence of Charlene 

There were allegations that Albert had fathered a love-child with an unnamed Brazilian woman during the time when he and Charlene were already in a relationship.

The woman said she met the Prince in a nightclub in Rio de Janeiro in 2004, and that their daughter, who is now a 16-year-old Brazilian schoolgirl, sent a handwritten note to Albert.

In turn, Albert’s legal team branded the allegations ‘a hoax, and they never went to court – prompting speculation that the case was settled privately.

The Prince has admitted fathering two other children out of wedlock – Jazmin Grace Grimaldi, who is now 30 and the result of Albert’s affair with an American estate agent, and Alexandre Coste, 18, whose mother is a former Togolese air hostess.

Both children were struck off Monaco’s line of succession in return for financial settlements.

Charlene told France’s Point de Vue magazine last January: ‘When my husband has problems, he tells me about it. I often tell him, “No matter what, I’m a thousand percent behind you. I’ll stand by you whatever you do, in good times or in bad”.’

Timeline: Prince Albert and Princess Charlene’s year apart

January 27 – Charlene is pictured with Albert for the Sainte Devote Ceremony in Monaco.

March 18 – Charlene is pictured at the memorial for the late Zulu monarch, King Goodwill Zwelithini at the KwaKhethomthandayo Royal Palace in Nongoma, South Africa

April 2 – Charlene posts an Instagram picture of herself, Albert and their twins Jacques and Gabriella for Easter.

It is unknown where the image was taken.

May 8 – Albert, Jacques and Gabriella attend a Grand Prix event in Monaco without Charlene

May 10 – Albert attends Monaco Gala Awards in Monaco without Charlene

May 18 – Charlene shares her first picture from her conservation trip in South Africa

June 1 – Prince Albert II, Jacques and Gabriella attend event at Oceanic Museum in Monaco

June 3 – New photos emerge of Charlene on her conservation trip

June 5- Charlene puts on a united front as she shares a photo with her family to mark her niece’s fifth birthday with her brother’s family and Albert and the twins in South Africa

June 7 – Albert and the twins attend the World Rugby Sevens without Charlene

June 17 – Prince Albert attends Red Cross Summer concert in Monte Carlo with his sister Princess Caroline of Hanover

June 18 – Prince Albert appears alone Monte Carlo TV Festival

June 24 – Charlene’s foundation releases a statement saying the royal is unable to travel and is undergoing procedures for an ear, nose and throat infection

July 2 – Charlene and Albert mark their 10th anniversary separately. ‘This year will be the first time that I’m not with my husband on our anniversary in July, which is difficult, and it saddens me,’ Her Serene Highness Princess Charlene said in a statement.

July 3 – Albert appears with glamorous niece Charlotte Casiraghi at the 15th international Monte-Carlo Jumping event, which is part of the Longines Global Champions Tour of Monaco,

July 27 – Prince Albert attends Olympics alone in Tokyo

August 13 – Charlene undergoes a four-hour operation. The reason is not announced

August 25 – Charlene shares photos of Prince Albert, Gabriella and Jacques visiting her in South Africa

September 1 – Charlene is admitted under an alias to the Netcare Alberlito Hospital after suddenly ‘collapsing’

September 2 – She is discharged, with a statement from the Palais Princier reading: ‘Her Highness is closely monitored by Her medical team who said that Her condition was not worrying’

September 23 – Prince Albert attends the 2021 Monte Carlo Gala for Planetary Health

September 29 – Prince Albert is joined on the red carpet by actress Sharon Stone for a first look at the eagerly anticipated James Bond release

September 30 – Charlene releases a stylish video promoting her anti-poaching campaign from her South African bolthole

October 3 – Princess Charlene shares a photograph of herself smiling in front of a bible in her first snap since being discharged from hospital following her health scare

October 5 – Prince Albert attends Sportel Awards Ceremony in Monte Carlo with nephew Louis Ducruet

October 6 – Albert tells RMC radio Charlene is ‘ready to come home’

October 8 – Princess undergoes surgery in South Africa

November 8 – Charlene arrives back in Monaco. Prince Albert said within hours it became clear she was ‘unwell’

November 13 – Prince Albert attends Expo 2020 in Dubai without Princess Charlene

Following his return from the trip, Prince Albert holds an intervention with Charlene’s brothers and a sister-in-law in which Charlene ‘confirmed’ she would seek ‘real medically framed treatment’ outside of Monaco

November 16 – Royal household confirms Princess Charlene will not attend National Day celebrations 

November 19 – Prince Albert attends a Monaco Red Cross event without Princess Charlene

November 17 – Prince Albert reveals Princess Charlene has left Monaco and is recovering in a secret location

November 19 – Prince Albert reveals Charlene is in a treatment facility ‘elsewhere in Europe’ after a family intervention

January 25 – Charlene celebrates her birthday alone outside of Monaco

January 26 – Prince Albert is joined by his children and sister without Charlene at St Devote’s Day

February 27 – Prince Albert and his two children attend AS Monaco football match without Princess Charlene

March 14 – The royal palace announced Charlene had returned to Monaco. 

April 17 – Palace released Easter Sunday family portrait of couple with their seven-year-old twins Princess Gabriella and Prince Jacques

 

Albert of Monaco reportedly paid Charlene £10million to make sure she fulfils her Royal duties Source link Albert of Monaco reportedly paid Charlene £10million to make sure she fulfils her Royal duties

Back to top button